1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mean drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kacey52, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Kacey52

Kacey52 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2012
    It's been a while since I've been on this board. I hope everyone is well!! I had some questions about my mallard drake. I have him and 2 females. They hatched in July of last year so they're about 8 months old now. Anyway, the problem with him is he is getting quite mean. He chasing anyone in the yard as soon as they turn their backs. He charged me when I let them out of the coop this morning and left a mark when he bit me on the ankle. My question is, is there anything I can do to make him any better? Any tips on dealing with him? Is he doing it because it's spring time (almost) and he's protecting his girls? This is my first time owning ducks so this is all new to me. Any advice would be appreciated :)

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    There's a "how to handle male geese" thread in the geese stickies that might be able to help you with this problem.

3. Kacey52

Kacey52 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2012
    Thank you Kevin. I will look for that thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by