Mean Drake?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tiffrosef, Sep 3, 2014.

1. tiffrosef

tiffrosef Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2014
    I got a drake from my friend and for the first few weeks he was super sweet to my girls but all of the sudden he's started attacking one of them. He's pulled out nearly all her tail feathers and some feathers around her neck. Now she's terrified of him and won't go near the pond while he's there. I separated him, but does anyone have any advice? I mean, we can eat him if we have to but I'd rather not. He did belong to my friend and she'd be pretty upset if we ate him lol.

2. tiffrosef

Jun 17, 2014
    Bump

3. smonkeySK

smonkeySK Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2013
    wigan uk
    1 of my call ducks wouldn't accept my drake as boss - she would fight him and sometimes win whenever he tried to assert himself!
    This led to her being ostracised from the group, all the ducks would chase her off (except for my white Campbell) and attack her.
    It has settled down after 6 months, but for a while there I had to have them sleeping separately; drake slept with several girls and the shunned call slept with the Campbell.

Everyone is back together now though; most of issues stemmed from the first breeding season together as a flock - I don't expect any issues next spring

4. tiffrosef

Jun 17, 2014
    Now hes going after all my girls! Have to keep him totally separate or he attacks them! Maybe its because its mating season? Actually is it mating season? This is my first time raising ducks... if so, how long does it usually last?

5. smonkeySK

smonkeySK Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2013
    wigan uk
    Breeding season is usually springtime but you sometimes get some late action up till the end of summer.
    If he was going for all my girls in a nasty way I would likely separate him but from what I've read this can just frustrate the male and make him worse when he gets out...

If he's a young bird then he may grow out of it, but in my experience a nasty bird is a nasty bird. Though I haven't had a bad drake so can't comment directly; I've had a few Cockerels who went native and in the end they've all had to go

6. tiffrosef

Jun 17, 2014
    I tried reintroducing him to the flock today and he not only attacked my girl ducks but my chickens too. I mean, Popeye, my rooster, put him down pretty darn fast, but even after that he kept trying. He's chasing everyone and trying to pull out feathers. The friend I got him from has his brother still, and has been doing the same stuff to her flock. Maybe just bad breeding?
    [​IMG]

The one in the middle that's mostly white. The others are my Rouen and my Khaki Campbell. This is just a few days ago, the day before the aggressiveness began. Anyone know what breed this is and if its known for aggression?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by