Mean Girls: Chicken Edition

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rgmarch_, Oct 24, 2017.

1. rgmarch_

rgmarch_ In the Brooder

May 18, 2017
    72159BCC-1661-455D-9BD2-1EDB38EF65EC.jpeg hey, y’all! Brand new chicken Mama here. My husband and I bought a new house in South Carolina and inherited chickens with the purchase of the house. For the first few weeks, we were getting 1-3 eggs per day from four hens. We decided to expand our flock and add four new chickens. We waited until the chicks were about 5 months old before we added them to the older chickens. With more time passing, we discovered that all four of our new chicks were actually roosters. We got rid of three of them, but kept one for protection and because I had gotten especially close to this one rooster. Once we added the rooster to the older flock, we never got another egg. Since then, we have added two younger hens (for real this time. They’re hens). The new hens are about seven months old, but still no eggs from anyone. Not the old flock or the new girls. On top of that, the new girls won’t sleep in the coop with the older girls. Is there anything that I can do to get my girls to get along and also to get some eggs out of these little boogers?

I did attach a picture of my small flock. The two lavenders are the newest.

Thank you so much! ❤️

Better Than Rubies likes this.
  2. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

Not alot you can do to make them play nice,they kind of have to work it out on their own chicken terms. Eggs most likely got put on hold due to the flock not being settled. Just give them time. Is there any way you can give your new girls a little place in the coop where the older hens can't harass them? Maybe block off a little bit for them temporarily?:)

Chelseyb123 and nminusyplusm like this.
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Puppy Dreaming

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Do you know how old the older hens are? Hens over a year will quit laying this time of year to molt. Many hens will take breaks from laying.

Is it possible your hens have hidden nests?

The lavender on the left might be a rooster, I think I see saddle feathers.

Chickens live by a pecking order and don't welcome new members as they see them as competition for the territory. It isn't them being mean, it's just the way chickens are.

4. Granny Hatchet

Granny Hatchet Tastes like chicken

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    :welcome Hi, whatcha feeding them ?

rgmarch_ likes this.
  5. Chickassan

Ohh,you're right i see the feathers too.

rgmarch_ and nminusyplusm like this.
  6. Granny Hatchet

Granny Hatchet Tastes like chicken

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    x3 on the roo. They sure are pretty.

rgmarch_ and nminusyplusm like this.
  7. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    X4 on that lavender.
    He's a hottie though.

Sassysouth, rgmarch_ and nminusyplusm like this.
  8. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
  9. Chickassan

They are lovely, but the fact you have two boys might have something to do with the egg shortage. I know when the springtime cockrel explosion happened here this year the girls closed up shop and that was three of the buggers. Got it whittled down to one eggs started back and promptly everybody molted I've got horrendous luck. :)

10. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    That extra male sure upsets the apple cart. It does not yet look like either male is causing feather damage....yet. Spring will be a huge challenge if it does not hit earlier.

I would strongly recommend a second coop and 15 more females if you are going to try and keep both males.
    Things can get really bloody between males.

Your females are likely feeling the stress already. That combined with molting season has a lot to do with the lack of eggs.

rgmarch_ and Chickassan like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: