1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mean hen banished to solitary confinement

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by equinelyn, Jul 15, 2011.

1. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    I have an 8 month old Americauna hen(Emerald) who has been getting more and more aggressive with the other hens. 5 of my 10 are only 3 months old, and one is a roo. She leaves the older ones alone but really makes a point to pick on the younger ones. She doesn't rip out feathers, but she is a big bully. If I let them free roam she will see them in the distance and chase them down just to attack them, all the others would mind their own business, but now another is starting to pick up her behavior too. So I put Emerald in her own pen to think about her bad behavior. I want to bump her off her high horse. So how long til I can re-introduce her? I hear a week. But would 3 days do the trick?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I recently read of someone trying 3 days and it didn't work. I suspect they need the week to forget each other and make the bully, in effect, a new chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by