Mean Hen

Merry

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
So. Cal
I'm new to raising chickens, and I understand about pecking order, but it seems like my "head hen" is just being mean. She's been pecking at the eyes of the others, and this has resulted in an injury to my sweetest hen.
So I've seperated the mean one, and everybody else seems like they're getting along, though it's only been a couple hours...(still-that's more than when she was in with them)
Should I wait a day and then try to put meanie back in, or should this be a permanent seperation?
Unfortunately, meanie is also the only one laying eggs, the rest have about a month to go.

You may want to try giving them some chicken entertainment, if you haven't already. Treats hanging from the cieling and such, that has helped some people. Keep injured pullets from her though.

Yeah, it ended up I had to pull sweetie out, when any of the others even got close to her she cried out and hid her face, so meanie's back in. I'll try the hanging treat idea, but the sweet one likes to sleep a lot, so I think she'll be safer by herself. She's my toddler's favorite, so it's importat to keep her safe. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom