Mean Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HobbyChickener, Feb 4, 2008.

1. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    I intruduced the young girls to the old girls yesteday. They are fairly close to the same size, however there is about 5-6 months age difference. The old girls are picking on the new one and have them cowering into the corner of the coop. Should I take them back out? Will they start being nice? No pun but is this just a pecking order thing? I would have thought they would be glad to see them so the roo would have some one else to bother. I don't want them to kill my young one, any suggestions?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I would just watch for blood shed. Its quite normal for the "newbies" to cower in the corner. They are scared and in a new place, already occupied by adults. Sounds like the "pecking order" Just watch them...make sure no one is getting bloodied. They will settle down soon. Maybe throw some scratch out in the yard. Make sure you spread it wide enough so that the new babies will have space to get some. Good luck, introduction is never easy.

3. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    You can put a divider wall(made out of chicken wire or hardware cloth) to separate the newbies. This way, they are able to see each other, but not physically interact with each other. They can join them in the pecking order without a fight. After maybe a week, try removing the divider and see if they're getting along.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by