1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

I have 6 Guinea hens that I have raised with 6 chickens in a brooder and a small run. They have lived in this area in peace for about 5 weeks.

Saturday I moved them to a larger coop with the same run. I did not have the fence/paddock ready yet, ( it is ready now).

Yesterday we saw one chicken with blood on her back. The guinea and chickens were viciously attacking the one with the blood on the back. We moved her to the hospital room. This morning I let her out with my free range chickens, ( this chicken was free ranger, until she won the lottery to live with the guinea). The free range chickens immediately went after this one pecking her back.

WHY????

Will this chicken ever be able to live in peace?

I will be keeping her in the hospital now for a week or so until she is completely healed. but I am worried about her.

Is she just the bottom of the pecking order?

2. CHICKLOVER69

CHICKLOVER69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Seen dogs do this also. Dont know why animals can be so cruel to each other, guess the same reason humans do the same. Nature can be so unforgiving. Sorry for your problem. There is a peccking order, but that sounds terrible.

3. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    I take the mean hens and lock them up for a week or how ever long it takes to reestablish the pecking order. You could also try to find a docile hen or rooster to pair her up with, there is strenth in numbers. I hate when a chicken is bullied, I'm a big softy. Good luck.;)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by