Mean LB Roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bigredfeather, Dec 23, 2009.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I have a large pen in my coop that houses all of the chickens from my June hatching madness. There is a Light Brahma roo that is terrorizing some of his pen mates. He is the biggest roo in the pen and he knows it. He has pecked one of my Barnevelder hens almost to death, and he has his sights on one of the other roos. He chases him around all the time, and we he finally catches him, he beats him down. My plan is to put him in a jail pen in the coop to prevent him from doing any more harm. My question is, in others expiriences, do roos like this have any chance of settling down and becoming managable as they get older? I know each scenario is different, but I am looking to her there is a chance he might get over this aggresive stage. He is by far the best looking LB roo I have. If he weren't, I would have no problem culling. If it comes to that, I will do it, but I hate to get rid of such a nice looking bird. I also realize he can't coexsist with the rest of my flock with his current temperment. I am going to be seperating all my breeds very soon, and I'm afraid when I move him into a smaller pen with just the Brahmas, it may be even worse.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    If her were separated into his own pen with his hens, and without the other roosters, he may be fine. But don't expect to be able to pen him with other roosters. At his age, his hormones are raging. There is a chance he will settle down, but there is probably too much competition there, and he thinks he has to constantly prove himself.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I agree. His hormones are currently raging but he may settle down if you give him time. Then again, he may not. They are all individual. It's hard to say exactly what will happen.

4. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Thanks. I think I will put him in jail until I get breed pens made. I was planning on doing it very soon anyway. It figures that i would have trouble with the best looking one and not some one of the poorer quality ones.

5. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Thats sort of what I'm going through too. I have a few Roos and its the gorgeous ones that are causing all the trouble!! Seems like it always my favs that end up not being around anymore!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by