Mean Little Cochin.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by susanah, Jan 12, 2013.

1. susanah

susanah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    We have a very aggressive Bantam Cochin. She will bite you and sometimes make you bleed. [​IMG] She also picks on our D'uccle to the point that she is afraid to eat or drink and my daughter is afraid to come near her. Any ideas on how to make her know who's boss?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Invite her to dinner.

Seriously, just like with a rooster (are you positive it's not a roo? But really doesn't matter, a mean bird is a mean bird) if she's already got to the point where you're letting her make you bleed, you just need to get rid of the bird. Are you ever going to trust her? Is your daughter going to be able to enjoy her animals without being afraid? That's a pretty rotten feeling for a kid, to be afraid of animals on their own property. Just rehome her, or cull her.

3. susanah

Mar 23, 2009
    Yes, she is a hen. She lays eggs. My daughter is not that afraid of her and she doesn't have the heart to get rid of her. We raised her from a chick and she is way to small to eat.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  4. susanah

Mar 23, 2009
    Any other ideas?[​IMG]

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Do you have a rooster? If not, she may be trying to fill that roll. For onery roos, I've pushes them to the ground and "pecked" at them (not hard, but let her know who's boss). Usually after being completely humiliated in front of the flock they'll give me wide birth. You could also catch her and carry her around with you. Has she always been mean or is this a new behavior? If its new, she might be gearing up to go broody. Some of my broody hens are seriously testy. Just some more thoughts. Good luck with her.
    Nikki

6. susanah

Mar 23, 2009
    Yes, we have a rooster and she is second to the bottom of the pecking order so I don't think that's it. She's always been kind of mean. Just hate to get rid of her and disturb the flock. Doesn't seem to be broody, but does sleep in the nesting box at night.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  7. susanah

Mar 23, 2009
    My daughter has been the one posting. She's just wondering if there is anything to do. She's always been kind of mean in my opinion.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by