1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

MEAN MEAN MEAN Wyandotte youngsters.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fushalilly, Sep 13, 2009.

1. fushalilly

fushalilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I have 5 chicks, all females, all 5weeks old. One is a Barred Rock, one is an australorp, one is an Orpington, and 2 are Wyandottes (silver and gold laced). All except the Wyandottes are freidnly to people. When I hold them, they flap and make HORRIBLE noises until I put them down unlike the other 3 who fall asleep in my hands. Are Wyandotte's just a stand-offy breed?

2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I have 3 and they became much friendlier as they got older. Two are very friendly, Lola, the youngest is a bit shy

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Mine aren't standoffish at all.

4. classless chickens

classless chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Elkton
    Mine (SLW) are about 6 weeks old and they run everytime they see anyone. I have the sweetest Buff orpington. She doesn't run, and comes to you when you go in the coop or run. I love it.

5. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Mine aren't as friendly as my Welsummers, but they're not crazy flighty either -- but at 5 weeks, they were serious screamers. You'd think I was killing them.

I think it was just a phase [​IMG]

6. LaSombra

LaSombra Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    my wyandottes are the friendliest ones! I also have a GL and SL, plus a buff. They are sweeties. At first, they weren't that friendly, I guess. It was when they were close to 2 months old when suddenly Belle (my SLW) wanted me to pick her up every day. She's a sweetie!

7. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Hey - I've heard that Wyandottes can go either way...so maybe hang in there? Also, I've noticed that my 3 most unfriendly pullets (2 EEs and 1 Brown Leghorn) became just a little bit friendlier when they started laying. I don't have a rooster, so they look to me as their flock leader, but I don't know if that has anything to do with their friendliness or not. They'll squat for me, but those three are still not "people friendly." So it may depend on the individual bird in your case.

8. every chicken has a different personality, and maybe because they are the same breed so they formed a club.[​IMG]

9. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I have several 4 week old GLW and SLW chicks-they do tend to peck at me when I stick my hand down to try to pick one up-once I am holding them though, they seem fine. [​IMG]

10. redhawkou812

redhawkou812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Joelton, TN
    Ours is a sweetiepie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by