Mean momma

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PandrasGrandma, Dec 11, 2012.

1. PandrasGrandma

PandrasGrandma New Egg

Dec 11, 2012
    I have a hen that sat really late in the year she hatched 5 baby chicks 26 days ago. She has been a really good mom until now. Now she is being really mean and chasing and pecking at the babies. I have no idea if this is normal or not. I have never seen any do this before. And I don't know what to do.

2. TheSpeckledRoo

TheSpeckledRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Michigan
    Momma knows best. I think she is trying to make them live on their own now which is perfectly normal. Some times the hen will only take care of them for a week sometimes it is months. I would just continue to check on the chicks making sure they are being bullied and make sure they are getting the proper amount of food and water.

3. PandrasGrandma

PandrasGrandma New Egg

Dec 11, 2012
    Thank You sooooo much!!!! I will watch them really close. I am really new to this. I have never really had any problems with my chickens.

4. TheSpeckledRoo

Dec 10, 2012
    Michigan
  5. PandrasGrandma

PandrasGrandma New Egg

Dec 11, 2012
    Thank you very much...I went to the thread and read it. But I went ahead and brought them in. They are only 3 weeks old and it is in the low 20s here tonight. They are not compleatly feathered out. and they can be on the other side of the chicken house and she will kinda stock them and them rush in and peck at them. They were all cuddled up together under the light like they did last night and she went and ran the away from the light. I am really afraid with out the light they will frezze.

6. TheSpeckledRoo

Dec 10, 2012
    Michigan
    It was a good idea to bring them in then. Do you happen to have a brooder lamp you can use to warm them up?

7. PandrasGrandma

PandrasGrandma New Egg

Dec 11, 2012
    yes do you think they will need it even here in the house?

8. TheSpeckledRoo

Dec 10, 2012
    Michigan
    It couldn't hurt. If they get to warm they could always move away. I would just monitor it, if they seem to always be away from the light i would just turn it off

9. PandrasGrandma

PandrasGrandma New Egg

Dec 11, 2012
    Thank You for all of your help! they seem to be doing fine. I got home from church and my brother was all layed out on the couch with a baby chick laying on his chest. Both of them sound asleep. So I think we are going to be ok. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by