Mean Momma

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chick Chica, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Chick Chica

Chick Chica Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2012
    I have a 2 year old BO (Dixie). She's a virgin and probably always will be. The last time she went broody, I decided to give her fertilized eggs. The eggs were not viable (Boo!) I went to a farm and got her day old Wyandottes. She took to them and raised them as her own (Yay!)

Dixie has been a wonderful mother. A role model in raising her chicks (Yay!)

Chicks are now 8 weeks old and Dixie has started to be quite mean to them! (BOO!!)

Is this all part of the process? Is she encouraging distance? You know, like kicking your kids out of the house once they turn a certain age. (for their own good)

Dixie charges them and sometimes drives them away from their food. I have rectified this by setting up more food and water "stations".

I am thinking that this might change once the chicks get larger with time.

My flock is made up of 4 birds. Dixie, my 2 year old BO and her three, 8 week old, rejected, Lace Wyandottes, Maybelline, Carol and Lil' Queenie. Then their is me, Chick Chica. I have been known to "step in" and show them ALL who's at the top of the pecking order. (me!)

Any feedback will be graciously accepted.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yes, that is perfectly normal. The hen is weaning her chicks. I’ve had hens do that as young as three weeks and some that wait until many weeks later, with the average being somewhere between 4 and 8 weeks of age. The hen has decided the chicks can now make it on their own with the flock.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 -- it's all part of the natural process. This is the part where the baby birds are asked to "leave the nest" so to speak - Dixie's work her eis done.

4. Chick Chica

Chick Chica Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2012
    Thank you. I was thinking along the same lines. It's nice to get confirmation. Much appreciated!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by