Mean Mother

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Iluvmychickens, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Hi everyone,

I have the meanest Hen ever. Her oldest chick (female) is now 6 months old and they get along great. She has 3 silkie chicks (adopted eggs she hatched)( 2 female one male) that are 13 weeks old today and she does everything she can to torment them. She chases them away from food and water, if they are in the yard she seeks them out and pecks the stew out of them. I am at my wits end. I do not want to get rid of her but I do not know what to do. I have seperated them for a time and it still does not help. My husband is ready to eat her for dinner. Any suggesstions? Oh she is laying eggs for the past week and spends most of her time srceaming like this:
    BBBAAA BBBAAAA BBBBBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BBBAAA BBBAAA BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Thanks DeeDee

2. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    i don't know what to tell you. it is sunday morning and i am sure not thinking yet. but, just wanted to say i love your signature line.

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    heat up the stew pot.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Wait, you said she raised them right? And now she pecks on them? I am thinking the chicks are clingy, as a lot of silkies are, and momma hen is telling them it is time to grow up.

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, thats right silkiechicken. Mom is telling them to grow up and wise up! Just be patient, and you will see that Mom is smart as can be. You will be glad she is still around. Sometimes life in the chicken world seems too cruel, however it is best for the whole flock to let mom remain in control.

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by