mean muscovey!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by vidpro23, Jul 26, 2014.

1. vidpro23

vidpro23 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2013
    I started out with 6 muscovy ducklings - turned out 3 girls, 3 boys,.... couple months ago the males started fighting a bit and we decided to process 2 of them. Whatever made me decide to keep the male with the most "personality" is now beyond me. A week or 2 after the other males were gone , now Larry comes after me. We've had several bloody run ins (always mine). I would understand if I was close to one of his gals, or backed him into a corner or something. But I swear he waits til he sees I don't have a yard tool in my hand (which I now have to always) and comes after me then,..usually from across the yard. And its me, not my son or husband. Every time I think we've come to an "understanding" I find out the next day we have not. Am I being too patient with him? Is it time for him to move on? tips? The girls are all mild mannered and no issues. He leads them around all day and I guess I have felt like they need him,.... but to always have to be on alert is getting tiresome [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In my opinion, our birds should be for relaxation and enjoyment (yep, eggs and meat too) - I doubt that he can ever be trusted. I would eat him and get another drake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by