mean muscovies?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ringaring, Jan 14, 2013.

1. ringaring

ringaring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    I hear Muscovies are broody - which is what I need, but, I also understand they are mean tempered. Can anyone with Muscovies describe their temperament? I have 1 Mallard and 9 blue runners - clowns! They are a friendly little group and I'd like to keep it that way. I'm new at this.

2. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a breeding Muscovy right now, and yes, she is mean. She chases my Runners around when she is not on her nest, espeacially when they are near the shed where she has her nest but doesn't bite or beat them up. That's more the style of my Muscovy drake.

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

My friend has Muscovies, and they bully the chickens, chase the dogs. Ducks and drakes. They will put on quite a head-bobbing and hissing show for any humans that chase them, but when it comes down to it they'll run. They love FOOD. And they don't bite humans at all (I literally caught a whole bunch for slaughter and was fine, just watch those claws, they're BIG), but I've seen them bite the chickens' tail feathers to scare them off.

4. Muscovynmore

Muscovynmore Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2012
    NC
    I've had . . . meh, a couple hundred or so Muscovies over the last few years. The closest thing to mean has been mating season (duck/duck fights) or some of the nesting mothers. I have been "attacked" once, which was when a hormone-filled drakelet tried to bite my shoes (at which point I shoved him away, laughing, and he came to his senses). Muscovies are generally laid-back and much, much friendlier than the quacks I have.
    Not all Muscovies go broody. They can fly, but they usually only fly high when they've first grown in their wings. They do run a tight ship in pecking order, but all they do is pull feathers. And if you're getting a male, be sure he has enough Muscovy females to keep him busy.
    Muscovies are NOT (at least in general) mean. If ya want mean, try a goose during mating season. ;)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Adding any new bird to your flock, regardless of breed, will change things and you won't know how it will affect them. I've never had a "mean" muscovy. My hen will protect her ducklings and will attack if I pick them up and she is right there and they are peeping but that is her being a good mom.
    Personally, I see alot of people that describe muscovy as "mean" as having ducks that have not been raised as ducks or have an inappropriate mix of birds. What I mean by this is people that raise a duckling as a pet and it turns out to be a drake. That drake has no females so turns his attentions on people. Or that people have far to many drakes or are constantly introducing new birds to the flock so there is constant fighting or inappropriate behavior, like biting, was not corrected because it was "cute" when the bird was young but hurts when they are grown.

That being said, there are mean birds, just like there are mean people and other types of animals. Some just have bad temperments. I don't think those should be bred, personally.

As stated in another post, not all muscovy are broody and some runners will be. Muscovy can and will breed with your current ducks and the offspring will be sterile.

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    As stated, as a general rule? not at all. Of coarse there can be "mean" ones but there can be mean runners, pekin etc... I have raised A LOT of drakes and they are fine, you must be clear on boundaries with the male birds however.

As for the ducks, when raising a clutch and/or broody some can be a bit... er hormonal? but that is to be expected IMO. Now, i only have 'scovies but generally speaking they do get along, i don't think any worse or better than another breed.

My ducks have all been raised around cats, dogs and horses... they have never chased or even attempted to behave in an aggressive manner to any other types of animals.

Not all are broody fools, the breed is for the most part a good broody bird, that said, i have a few especially one who has never once tried to set a clutch, then i have another who steals babies and another who barely let's go lol Bottom line? your mileage will vary.

Introductions of new birds always throws off the basic dynamics and things need to re settle after-wards, i have found young birds to be the easiest to intro to larger flocks.. whether they be hatched here or brought in as ducklings.

To give an example here is my oldest drake... with my youngest kid lol(12yo) as you can see not a mean bone in his body... I keep him around for that reason alone, he's kind with the girls and has NEVER once acted inappropriate with people.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  7. Frank Phinster

I did not want to make it sound like Muscovies are trouble - I just wanted to point out that a broody duck is territorial and drakes are good fighters and can successfully subdue any other drake - but usually they get along fine with the rest of the flock and act tame and not aggressive at all towards their keeper.

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    That is quite true, my two drakes have been at it recently too BUT i think most people seem to get this idea that Muscovy as a breed are some nasty bird that attacks people? [​IMG] I just don't get where this comes from, i am sure there are some but that can be with any breed but as a whole the Muscovy is a personable, sturdy/hardy breed that serves multi purpose.

1 person likes this.
  9. ChampionAlex

ChampionAlex Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    CT
    My muscovy male was really mean to all the other ducks {which were sweish, runners, cayuga, golden, rouen n also muscovy females} also me. They could get really aggressive.. I did not raise the male as a baby though so this may be why.

10. Frank Phinster

I guess it's mostly prejudice - they are large, look odd (sometimes considered ugly) and do not quack like "normal" ducks but hiss, a sound most people connect with negative images - snakes hiss, aggressive cats hiss.
    And then there are a few muscovy drakes that are actually aggressive for some reason and those "prove" people right...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by