mean older hens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eggsgalore, May 4, 2008.

1. eggsgalore

eggsgalore Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    My older hens prevent the young chicks (1 month old) from entering the house in the evening. They have to wait outside until the old ladies are on the roost. Is that normal? Their mother is part of that pack and stopped caring for them a few days ago.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  2. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

That's typically what has happened with my chickens... the new chickens, lower peck order, have to wait and wait to get in. And that's when I've introduced other full grown chickens... so I suspect that it will happen when the young ones are introduced. chickens can be mean....

3. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    It is advised to not mix young chicks in with your older hens till they are at least the same size, around 16 weeks of age.

4. eggsgalore

eggsgalore Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    But they were born in this group and hatched by the mom and never before was there a problem until she disowned them. I thought that was so early. She is already laying again. If I separate them now I will have more issues later. During the day there is no bullying. Or is this something that will work out on it's own. I am planning on keeping two hens and a rooster out of these babies. Have no adult rooster but gave the broody hen fertilized eggs.

5. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    your mixing them to young.an thats the reason the older hens are being mean to the chicks.they need tobe put togather when the chicks are 10 to 12wks old.

6. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I just successfully mixed 8 week old chicks in with my hens this weekend, there are no problems. I did have them in the same run for a few weeks with chicken wire separating them, they could see eachother every day and interact through the wire. I needed that area for some younger chicks so I had to do it. There was some pecking and bullying at first for about ten minutes, then everything was fine. My older girls are Orpingtons and Polish, so maybe that is why it was easier.

7. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:That is normal; they are going to be on the lower end of the totem pole until they get big enough to find their pecking order with the older crowd.

As long as there is no bulling going on during the day you don't have anything to worry about; what you are describing is normal chicken society rules....the young ones must respect their elders and the privileges that come with age.

8. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:ROTFL!!! That is an awesome way to describe it, LOL!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by