Mean ole' chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KnittingKnutty, Oct 17, 2011.

1. KnittingKnutty

KnittingKnutty Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2011
    I am not sure where to post this so I guess I will in a few places. I have 8 chickens. Two of them are new to the barrio. We got them on Saturday. My other chickens are so mean. They won't let them out of the hen house. I try to put food and water in there for the new girls and they go in and take that over too. I don't have ANY way to separate them so I need some suggestions.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    It takes a few weeks for things to get settled. Don't worry just yet.

3. KnittingKnutty

Oct 12, 2011
    So you think they are going to be able to get some water? Should I keep trying to get it to them or should I just let things work themselves out?

4. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Do you have any sort of dog kennel or anything? If so, put the OLD chickens in the dog kennel, and let the other two roam around the run. After a few days, let out the older chickens.

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Quote:Penning the older hens is an idea, but chickens have a short attention span. I would bet your new girls are getting food and water when the older girls are distracted and/or going to bed.

6. KnittingKnutty

Oct 12, 2011
    Alright, I don't think I worried this much about something getting enough to eat since I had my twins.

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    All of mine came at the same time. But I have two of hens that are just mean to the Buffs. They are picking on um all day. But I have noticed when the rest or out chasing bugs and such they go in to the feed and eat away. I know they're eating, they are the fattest ones I have.[​IMG]

8. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    ive given my new one there own food/water asmine get chased away from the main ones [​IMG] they still get food and water this way and get to avoid mean betty from chasing them !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by