Mean Orpington Rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Glglenn, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Glglenn

Glglenn New Egg

Oct 24, 2009
    We only have one Rooster and two hens. We hatched about 10 eggs last spring and almost all were roos. So we sold them as they were fighting too much and kept only one. Well I know Buff O are supposed to be fairly gentle and docile but he really comes after our three and five year old boys so they are scared to play in our yard (we let them out every day to free range) Can I tame this rooster up or should I start looking for another?
    Is there anything you can do to prevent aggression? When you get too close he puffs up and if you turn your back he will attack especially with my kids since they are smaller I assume. He has tried this with me only once but what can I do?
    Your help is very much appreciated!!

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Boy is that a subjective question.

I have just had to make my rooster afraid to flog me. I carry my rooster stick whenever I am around him-he won't come near me when I have it.

With little kids...that's a toughie. Roosters can be dangerous to little ones.

To be frank with you, just getting rid of this one and getting another rooster might not solve your problem. You just don't know how they are going to act once they start to mature and begin to protect their flock.

Can you tame him-I say no. Can you make him afraid to flog you-absolutely(and you don't have to hurt him, just threatening is usually sufficient).

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  3. Glglenn

Glglenn New Egg

Oct 24, 2009
    So you can try to raise them like a pet and really let them get to know you and the kids but when maturity and instinct kick in things will change?

To an extent does each one have different personalities?

I hate to see him go but my kids need to play in the yard not stay inside because of him. But he is a beautiful bird, I have seen other buff roos that aren't nearly as sharp.

Thanks for the input!

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Trying to "baby" a rooster is a HUGE mistake(I didn't know either-learned the hard way). Mine had my number so he thought he was MY boss when he started to mature-flogged me bigger than Dallas out of nowhere(after being my buddy for so long).

You know, a lot of folks on here have docile, gentle roosters so you can get lucky-I don't think breed makes any difference in rooster temperment.

Might be a good idea to wait and get a rooster til your kids get a little bigger(at least til the kids learn how to deal with a flogger).

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  5. maine chicks

maine chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    maine
    What age do they turn on you? I have one who is very demanding of attention but once I carry him around for a few minutes he will perch on my arm and snuggle right down. I do keep him off my shoulder since he has made some passing glances at my eyes. He is about 26 weeks old.

6. chickiewhite

chickiewhite Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    Just like dogs, people should be dominant (top of the pecking order). Take a similar approach.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by