Mean Polish rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by careybeau, May 1, 2008.

1. careybeau

careybeau Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    I have a really mean Polish lilver laced rooster. He was really friendly until about a month ago. Now he flies out of the coop, chases me and has even spurred me. i've tried all the methods of making sure I'm "head chicken" but I'm worried he's going to hurt one of my kids. It's too bad because he's always been my favorite. Should I make soup out of him? he spurred me today through my jeans! He usually waits until I have my back turned then runs up and attacks me. Any help would be appreciated!

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    that roo needs to go into the stewpot.he will always hunt you down to spur you.been there done that.an finally killed a mean roo like that.

3. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I had a very sweet Golden laced Polish Rooster that one day out of the blue for no reason came at me and got me in the wrist with both spurs, luckily he was only a few months old but it was a pretty powerful attack. I tried for several weeks after that to work with him, but he would go from very nice to very mean in an instant...I never knew what was going to happen with him from one minute to the next, so I got rid of him. It's been peaceful ever since. Now I have three 8 week old roos that I don't know what to do with, I'm a little gun shy. Two are buff orps, one is a Production red...he's already showing a tough side. I bought a black white crested polish chick that is a month old now and I don't know if it's a girl or boy but it challenges the other chicks so I'm thinking I might be stuck with four roos all together. [​IMG] Good luck with yours, I wouldn't keep a mean one though.

4. careybeau

careybeau Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Thanks ! We decided to get rid of him. We have 3 roos left and 2 are Rhode Island Reds and one is a Barred Rock. I'm hoping that they won't start acting up. This one started acting up after we got rid of the meanest rooster we had named "Gandhi". We ate Gandhi but I don't think we'll eat Jimmy ( the Polish). It's too bad, he was my favorite rooster! :(Thanks for the helpful answers.

5. polish15

polish15 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2008
    MD
    This is the opposite of my rooster. Mine takes of every time I come around and is scared to death of me. He will scream bloody murder if I try to pick him up and calm him down. He was already like this when I bought him and I don't know if he will ever change.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by