Mean pullet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tjparker60, Jan 1, 2017.

1. tjparker60

tjparker60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2016
    Ok I have Mottled Cochin pullet who is quite mean to me. When I go to clean the coop, put my hand down to pet a chicken or to place food on the ground she viciously pecks my hand. None of my other chickens do this! I've raised her from a 2 day old chick and she loves to sit on my lap! How do I get her to stop hurting me?

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    She has imprinted on you to the point she thinks of you as her flock, she is most likely the head bird and wants to make sure you know she is under you, the feeding area is where lots of the pecking order takes place and matters.

Hold her and push or hold her head down and under her while you monkey with the feed. That can stop roosters that act like that, I see no reason why to not try it on a hen.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    When I have a mean chicken I will grab them up and carry them around with me for a few minutes as I walk around the yard. Not sure why but it works for me - I think they learn I am the top dog - not them. Good luck to you!

4. tjparker60

Mar 2, 2016

Thank you! I will try it! I love her to pieces, but boy she can sure peck hard!

5. tjparker60

Mar 2, 2016
    Thanks! I try that, too! I love the stinker, but I'd like her to stop pecking me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by