mean pullet.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ravenoak, Mar 17, 2015.

1. ravenoak

ravenoak New Egg

Mar 17, 2015
    I just got 10(5 for me and 5 for my daughter) 2 day old Isa brown pullets from TSC. One of them is really mean and picking on all the others. I have them in 2 different tubs they each have their own food, water and heat lamp. But one of them continues to pick at the top of the others beak. So much so that they are now red. What can I do? I have separated it in a 2 gal bucket inside their tub until I find what to do.

2. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    New chicks will sometimes peck at the eyes, beaks and/or toes of their flock mates. I think they're attracted to the shine of eyes, movement of toes, and color contrast on beaks. This should stop in a couple of days.

The inside of a typical brooder is pretty boring (wall-to-wall pine chips), so they need something to do. They peck at the most interesting things in the brooder, which may be the other chicks. It's helpful to give them other things of interest to peck at to reduce the likelihood of them pecking at each other. In addition to their chick feed, I occasionally give them mashed, hard-boiled eggs. I also put a couple of 2 or 3" diameter branches in the brooder, letting the branches sit right on top of the brooder bedding. They can hop up on the branches (great exercise), and the branches also provide a sort of refuge for chicks to move around and sleep next to -- in other words, it provides a mini-barrier to annoying chicks who want to pick on everyone. You can also add a small piece of sod from your yard, with the grass and soil attached. This is a healthy introduction to soil microbes and vegetation, and gives them something of great interest to peck at. (Be sure to introduce chick grit if you do this)

3. ravenoak

ravenoak New Egg

Mar 17, 2015
    Thank you! So I should just leave them be and it will work it's self out? What if the other chicks start to bleed?

4. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Yes, I would let them work it out. If a chick starts to bleed, it will have to be treated and only put back with the others when the wound is no longer bleeding. I think there are special wound coatings that can be used to both heal and mask the red appearance of a wound. But . . . I've never had a chick draw blood from another chick, so hopefully it won't come to that!

If there's just one bully and it will not let up, you can isolate it by putting it within a smaller box within the larger brooder for a day or two, with its own water and food.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by