Mean Red Rooster

freeducks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Outskirts of Pryor, OK
Does anyone have suggestions for taming a big mean red rooster? We got him when he was young and he was nice then, but now he's become very aggressive and has large spurs. I'm afraid to let my grand-youngins out there by the coop. Don't want to shoot him but I don't want the kids hurt. He tries to flog us when we go out to feed! Any suggestions are welcome!

Rooster has to go swimming with noodles in a pot of soup. Sorry but, he has crossed the line.

"swimming with the noodles" - the chicken mafia version of swimming with the fishes?
gig.gif

I too have a mean rooster. He's almost six months old and starting to grow his spurs. I've tried behavior modification to no avail. My chickens free range during the day and I can't even enter the yard without him attacking me. I spoke with a professional poultry man today and he told me to cull him this week. He said he's still young enough that the meat will be tender. He told me that the liability is too great when chickens free range. They could travel to a neighbors and attack them & I'd be facing a law suit! Yikes! Red is going on the BBQ!

I, personally, would not waste the time trying to rehab such a rooster - I would dispose of him. I realize you have said you don't want to do that, but even re-homing him is not a good option with the behavior he is showing. If you did re-home him it would need to be with FULL disclosure as to why and with the understandnig that anyone willing to take him is likely picturing him in their stew pot. This is not a rooster you want contributing to the genetics of your flock even IF you were able to change his ways.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry about your rooster. You may get some suggestions on taming him, but in my experience (about 50 years), once a rooster becomes aggressive, it is virtually impossible to break them from it; the only thing you can do is remove him from the flock. You don't want to risk potentially serious injury to the kids (like losing an eye), nor do you want to breed that kind of aggression into your flock. It's a buyers market out there where roosters are concerned with so many unwanted ones and there are too many good ones available to risk keeping an aggressive one. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

You may want to dispose of this rooster. But there are some ways to help fix him. Some people say that putting him in a dark are for at least a whole day may shock him and help him not be as aggressive. Also, separating him from his ladies for a bit might help too. Otherwise, you may want to replace him.

Best of luck!

You must protect the young 'uns at all costs. Most roosters can't be trusted around children and can do severe damage to the face and eyes. Sorry, but the rooster needs to go.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Usually there is no way to tame up a mean rooster. This aggression is built into his personality. And he can hurt the little kids. So definitely keep him locked up if the kids are out with the hens. If you cannot turn him into dinner, then you will definitely want to keep him completely separate from everyone and everything.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

You've already been given some good advice. Good luck with your rooster and whatever you end up doing to him!

Back
Top Bottom