MEAN RIR WHAT TO DO???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sbluvinit, Jul 30, 2008.

1. sbluvinit

sbluvinit Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    EARLY THIS SPRING WE PURCHASED 2 PULLETS, SINCE THEN THEY ARE CURRENTLY LAYING, MY RIR IS VERY FRIENDLY, THE KIDS AND I CAN PICK HER UP, PET HER WADDLES & COMB AND SHE DOESNT EVEY TRY TO GET AWAY OR PECK AT US. HOWEVER I CURRENTLY GOT 3 GUINES AND SHE HATES THEM. THEY ARE BIG ENOUGH TO BE IN THE LARGER COOP WITH THE OTHER BIRDS BUT MY RIR WILL NOT LEAVE THEM ALONE. SHE CHASES THEM PECKS THEM AND HAS EVEN HELD ONE DOWN BY ITS NECK LIKE MY ROO DOES. THIS IS NOT GOOD. I WANTED MY GUINES TO RUN WITH THE OTHER BIRDS, SHOULD I GIVE UP AND BUILD A SEPERATE COOP???? ANYONE

2. KLH2010

KLH2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    How long have they been in there with her now? Is it possible she's just adjusting?

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Some people have good luck mixing them and some people don't. I am in the don't catagory. The guineas and chickens do not get along. The chickens have a coop and run. The guineas free range and forage.

I think you will have to separate yours, too, based on your above indication. If it isnot a hen fighting a guinea it will be a guinea learning to fight a hen.

Typing is all caps makes it very hard for people to read your post. It also comes across online as shouting at everyone. Please try not to post in caps. Some members won't even try to read your threads if they know they will be in caps due to the strain on their eyes.

4. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Is one of your Guineas a male? Most of the time they are kept seperate from chickens are far as coop space.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    One other thing. Guineas and chickens can cross breed. Ugly things hatch from those eggs.

6. sbluvinit

sbluvinit Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Thanks miss priss, no more caps, not trying to web shout. I am not sure if any of them are male, how do you tell? my chickens free range and I was hoping for the guines to also do the same. looks like I might have a problem. it seems like only my precious red bird. the RIR hates them. I wonder if she is jealous. The babies are in the same coop she was in when she was little. I sweet talk them just like i did with her. I still sweet talk my red bird and even give her cheese. she really likes that. Looks like trouble for me I hope no one hurts any one, I plan to keep the guines locked up until the get big enought to defend them selves, maybe red bird will mellow out???? I hope

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by