Mean Roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Alabama ee, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    I have a young roo; he is about 4 months. He is very pretty and WAS sweet. However, it seems those hormones have kicked into gear. He sneaked up behind me and bit(hard) at my legs a few days ago. I kicked him to make him stop. He was starting to come at me a second time when I got in a good kick. Then, I picked him up and carried him around. Today, I was wearing sandles and he ran up and bit my foot hard enough to bleed. I kicked him away.

Also, he is not really breeding the hens yet, but he is pulling out a LOT of feathers. He will just walk up and pull out their feathers. Will he settle down, or will this behavior get worse?

2. Rennie

Rennie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Get a "Cockerel Stick" .. When ever my roo is out I have a stick ..Mine isnt bad at all but i think its because from the moment i got him he knew I was the boss ... You dont need to whack him or anything just push him out of the way when he gets close.. All i need to do now is lift the stick off the ground and mine knows its time to go into the run again

3. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    That is a good idea. However, so far, he is a bit sneaky in how he bites.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by