mean roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chris deiss, Sep 21, 2010.

1. chris deiss

chris deiss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    omro , wi
    Hi just wanted a little input from you experts. I have a 4 month old roo that's a cochin/plymouth rock banty / ? At least that's what I think ! I understand esstablishing the pecking order and the importance of it and he is definately the king but he is starting to get agressive towards me and pecks me when I open the coop in the morning or just get too close to him. Is he goin to get meaner and more agressive ? I know what I would like to do but that's the wifes roo and I don't think she would go for it lol. My concearn is that I have a 19 month old little girl and will he start goin after her . Any input is appreciated thanks. Chris

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

It ain`t worth riskin damage to your kid, Chris. Sell the wife on losing the little tyrant......Pop

3. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    My roo will tolerate me, but watch out anyone else. Especially kiddos.

4. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Yes, some roos change once the hormones kick in.

5. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    We had an adolescent roo that was my husband's baby. He wasn't aggressive to us but began flinging the younger pullets by the neck. We re-homed him (after we told his new owners what a bad boy he could be). My flock is so much calmer now. My husband didn't want to see him go but he admits now that it was a good thing.

In your case, he is human aggressive. And with an 18 month old child who isn't that much taller than the roo.....oh no.....he's got to go.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Waiting until after he flogs your daughter is too late. Get rid of him now!

7. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by