Mean roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenPeep, Jul 21, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hey everyone! I was just visiting my chickens this afternoon (7:30-8:00), and all the sudden i heak "SQUACKKK SQUAAAA BAWKKK!!!" so i turn around and se that my roo is holding onto the neck feathers of one of my hens and theyre both squawking!! I got really mad at my roo and held my hen to make sure she was okay. a few minutes later, i hear it again, and this time its my other roo doing it to another hen! of course, i got mad! This kept happening (mostly with a certian roo) and i got frustrated! A couple times the two roos fluffed up and charged at eachother, but they didnt make physical contact. They have never done this before, however we have never visited in the afternoon before. I dont want people to say things like" oh, hes just a mean rooster" or something, because they have NEVER done this before! Can someone help me figure out wat theyre doing? Im wondering if theyre just grumpy 'cause theyre tired or something, but i dont know!! Can someone please help?!?!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  2. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Im pretty sure what you are talking about is mating. I think your roo isn't mean but mating with your hens.

3. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    How old is your roo?

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Quote:X2. How old are they? Sounds like typical teen roos in with POL pullets.

5. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I agree.

6. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:I thought abought that too but he wasnt on thier backs!
    also, he's about 4 months old ( about 16 weeks)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  7. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    well...my roo is 17 weeks and starting mating at 15....If it's not on there backs then im not sure..

8. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Quote:I thought abought that too but he wasnt on thier backs!
    also, he's about 4 months old ( about 16 weeks)

Yup, typical hormonal teenage boys in with pullets that just aren't ready yet. He's good to go, but she's not yet. I suspect the girls will start laying soon though. Once they do it won't look so rough.

9. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    im worried the hens might get hurt though!

10. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Your girls will be ok. When we first put a rooster in with our 12 pullets (I think they were about 15wks at the time) he would "Chicken Surf" like 20 times a day. LOL He was a fully grown rooster and could not WAIT to be with them if you know what I mean. They would scream and fight, feathers would fly..it was pitiful. Now they are 22 weeks old and hens. They just lay there until it's over. I guess it's consensual now. [​IMG] Your girls will learn/accept it as they mature. If you have kids you may need to explain what's happening though. My kids though the rooster was trying to bite their heads off. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by