Mean roo?

ChickenPeep

Faith & Feathers
11 Years
May 1, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Hey everyone! I was just visiting my chickens this afternoon (7:30-8:00), and all the sudden i heak "SQUACKKK SQUAAAA BAWKKK!!!" so i turn around and se that my roo is holding onto the neck feathers of one of my hens and theyre both squawking!! I got really mad at my roo and held my hen to make sure she was okay. a few minutes later, i hear it again, and this time its my other roo doing it to another hen! of course, i got mad! This kept happening (mostly with a certian roo) and i got frustrated! A couple times the two roos fluffed up and charged at eachother, but they didnt make physical contact. They have never done this before, however we have never visited in the afternoon before. I dont want people to say things like" oh, hes just a mean rooster" or something, because they have NEVER done this before! Can someone help me figure out wat theyre doing? Im wondering if theyre just grumpy 'cause theyre tired or something, but i dont know!! Can someone please help?!?!
hu.gif
hu.gif
hu.gif
hu.gif
hu.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I thought abought that too but he wasnt on thier backs!
also, he's about 4 months old ( about 16 weeks)

Last edited:
Quote:
I thought abought that too but he wasnt on thier backs!
also, he's about 4 months old ( about 16 weeks)

Yup, typical hormonal teenage boys in with pullets that just aren't ready yet. He's good to go, but she's not yet. I suspect the girls will start laying soon though. Once they do it won't look so rough.

Your girls will be ok. When we first put a rooster in with our 12 pullets (I think they were about 15wks at the time) he would "Chicken Surf" like 20 times a day. LOL He was a fully grown rooster and could not WAIT to be with them if you know what I mean. They would scream and fight, feathers would fly..it was pitiful. Now they are 22 weeks old and hens. They just lay there until it's over. I guess it's consensual now.
lol.png
Your girls will learn/accept it as they mature. If you have kids you may need to explain what's happening though. My kids though the rooster was trying to bite their heads off.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom