1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mean Roo...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FarmerGrant011, Nov 24, 2011.

1. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    I love my rooster, but he is just getting mean... And I have been attacked three times, so one time, I engaged with him and shoved him on his rear with my shoe. He was leaving me alone ever since.. But today, he attacked me..? Is it safe to say this rooster is "freezer camp" eligible?

Grant

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Straight to freezer camp.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Grab him up, and hold him by the back of the head to the ground. DO NOT let go until he settles down. Then, slowly, start to let go. If he starts to get excited again, keep holding him down. Eventually he should relax and just stay there even when you completely let go of him and not get up until he knows for sure you don't mind him getting up. I did that to both mine but I did it at the very first sign of aggression and neither one would dare dream of crossing me now. The older one did need reinforcement once but really that was as much my fault as his. I was pushing it. But I still grabbed him and held him down again. Lesson learned.

If that doesn't work, freezer camp for sure.

ETA: This guy has been really independent from an early age. But it still might work.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  4. ck-newbe

ck-newbe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Boone, NC
    Depends on how much time and effort you want to put into training him and your current roo to hen ratio. I like training my boys by picking them up and holding them even if you have to run them down and they don't want to be held. This lets them know you are boss and also lets them know you are not there to hurt them. Bond with your roo if you want to keep him.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Serious attitude adjustment or freezer camp especially if there are small children involved.

6. FarmerGrant011

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    He is the only rooster, but if I get butcher him, my mom wants me to get a silkie rooster.

7. ck-newbe

ck-newbe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Boone, NC
    Oooh I love my siklie roo. Moms are great!
    Quote:

8. FarmerGrant011

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    haha ya... ever since she saw one while I was on the computer on here, she was like "are they nice?" and I was like "yeah. alot of people keep them as pets." and ever since then she told me she wants me to get one.

9. NinnyGillaspie

NinnyGillaspie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Huntsville, Tx
    Hey, So now you have 2 reasons to cull the rooster. He's mean, and a silkie will take his place. Hubby and I are culling a white leghorn rooster in the AM. He attacks everyone in the run. I have used him as a soccer ball a couple times. Granddaughter can't go in, he's too mean. I too have 2 reasons. 5 week old RIR's, 9 of them. 3 are roosters.

10. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    The only thing you accomplish by trying to rehab a nasty roo is to make him more sneaky about when he attacks. I had a horrible roo. I worked with him for several months trying to stop his attacks. He stopped attacking me so I thought it was working. Until the day he jumped me. He tore me up pretty well, but I managed to keep him off my young daughter (I'm pretty sure she was his ultimate target, but I was in the way) who was standing about 10 feet behind me. Mine went into the stew pot the next morning and I have never been so happy to see the last of any bird.

Human aggressive roos will always be human aggressive and no amount of working with them is likely to change that. Save yourself the anxiety, time and effort of trying to save a nasty bird, and just get another roo. There are too many good boys out there in need of homes to tolerate a bad one.

Good luck.

PS- Silkies are so beautiful...I predict your decision is going to be an easy one. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by