mean rooster

Dan M

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2016
my rooster is about 8 months old and just began getting aggressive, I have no tolerance for puffing up at me and have had to give him the boot a couple of times. He is generally protective which I understand, but he has taken to beating the heck out of one of the older hens, I didn't really interfere at first but when she hid behind me he did stop. However I think after I left he went right back to kicking her butt. After all the other girls were inside for the night I found her crawled inside a pallet bleeding around her comb and face. he was basically not letting her in. Im starting to think he is going to injure or kill her. I almost made the decision to take him out right then and there. What do you think, is this normal ? really seems to be only the one hen that he really picks on.

If he were mine, he would have to go. Once he finishes with her, he may start on another hen. I'll try to adjust the attitude of a human aggressive rooster, but one who attacks hens becomes dinner in a heartbeat.

yes, I think his days are numbered. I just wasn't sure how far they usually go to establish the pecking order

You might try removing him from the flock for a week or so. Watch him after you reintroduce him to the flock, and if he continues with the bad behavior - BYE to him. 'There are too many good roosters that are readily available.

I think we will have that rooster for dinner!
tongue2.gif

This happened to my former rooster, he would beat the tar out of my hens and my tiny rooster. Finally it got so bad that he almost put one of my hens eyes out. Finally. I was considering killing him. I asked every person that kept chickens if they needed a rooster, everybody said they didn't. Finally someone said they did, i was so relieved. I didn't want to kill him at all, he is now in a good home with lots of hens,
smile.png
could you possibly see if any other chicken keeper would take your mean rooster?

Back
Top Bottom