Mean Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by langfordcr, Jul 7, 2016.

1. langfordcr

langfordcr Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2016
    I have 7 hens and a roo. Two of the hens started laying this week. On the day of the first egg my rooster rammed the back of my legs as I was walking back to the house. I didn't think anything of it until he did it again the following day, twice. This morning I heard a hen giving her egg laying clucking song so I went to look for an egg. She and the roo were the only ones out back and the rest were out front. This time I kept my eye on him to and from the coop and he was trying to attack me again. Is he trying to protect the eggs? Trying to dominate me like a hen? Can I stop this behavior or am I looking at dinner? I don't want to have to watch my back, or my kid's backs, when I'm out with them. He's been so sweet prior to now.

2. onehappyhiker1

onehappyhiker1 New Egg

Jul 7, 2016
    That's funny you ask this because I am having the same problem. I have a red sexlink who laid her very first egg yesterday and a Rhode Island red roo who up until yesterday was generally pretty sweet. Now he is getting aggressive

3. Britney M

Britney M Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    Anyone have any good ways to deal wil rooster aggression problems I have an EE rooster who is very sweet so far nothing mean but when I pic up some of his ladies and they through a hissy he comes looking and talkin to them which I'm good with as long as he doesn't attack. I've read to hold them until they calm down wich I do daily regardless of how he acts and I make it a point to not let him go until he can do so calm and quite like. I am attached to him and want to keep him so any good info would help don't get me wrong I will do what I have to do but he is only 3 months old so I'm hoping to rais him right and avoid problems thanx[​IMG]

4. newchickiemom48

newchickiemom48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    I have an aggressive rooster which I hatched myself. I just walk backward out of the chickenyard and remind him to "sit". I push him down to show dominance and pick him up and carry him around when I am doing things so I don't have to worry about getting spurred. Also quality time with mom away from the flock sometimes helps the bond.

5. MI-Homesteader

MI-Homesteader Just Hatched

Jun 25, 2016
    Holly, Michigan
    I am going to say that you should not risk your children getting attacked, if he continues it then he should be dinner

6. -Kayla

-Kayla Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2016
    Westmoreland County
    I have too have read that picking them up and carrying them around is supposed to work. I also read to give him treats since that's what he does for his ladies. Having said that, I just put my three in the soup pot this week. They were picking on the younger hens and I just wasn't going to deal with that crap.

7. Britney M

Britney M Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    You had to do what you had to do I am not afraid to do the same with him if he becomes mean so far he is sweet to everyone fingers crossed

8. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I have tried all/ most of the 'retrain the rooster' techniques, and am not impressed. I want my cockrels to get out of my way, and not go after me in any way, no matter what. Generally, the good ones are good all the time, and the jerks just keep trying, and taste great. I don't plan to have to watch my back around my flock, and certainly don't want anyone else injured here! Mary

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by