mean rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rigagirl, Apr 5, 2009.

1. rigagirl

rigagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    churchville ny
    i had 2 roosters and had to cull one and i chose to keep the dominate one to help protect the flock... he has gotten more aggressive and yesterday he really came at me. i was kicking at him as i backed up to get out of pen. i know i hit him but that didn't stop him. thought he was mad because i gave them granola from a natural food store [​IMG] (none of them ate it) but this morning he came right back at me, i don't look at him i don't walk to where he is i do all i can to avoid him. should i cull him or is there something i can do? i am scared of that guy!

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    If you think you're brave enough to take charge of the situation, there are some things you can try before resorting to culling.

I suggest studying Rooster-Red's rooster behavior BYC page. He has a TON of great suggestions for changing your rooster's behavior.

3. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Rooster-Red's methods didn't work for me with any of my mean roos. But this method DID work: Super Soak 'em! I'm talking about the big water gun with the pump. Approach him and give him a big squirt. See what happens.

4. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    I had a friend of mine who said use a orange bucket and swing it at them, then always carry your bucket with you, he claimed it worked but I don't know. I culled a rooster for attacking my 3 year old years ago. Good Luck.

5. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Once again I will speak out against man fighters. These birds have no place in the gene pool, and should be culled with extreme prejudice. l have read all the posts about retraining, but in my experience with chickens (a very long time) is that this type of behavior can not be changed, and it is hereditary. This susposed to be a fun thing. Worrying about getting injured every time we step into the coop or run in my opinion is not fun.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  6. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I dont have kids, but if my aggressive rooster attacked a kid, I would cull him. If he ever attacks my doxies he will be culled. My lab/bc can take care of himself.

Needless to say, Buck is still around and can be aggressive towards me. He tried that with DH and he got a boot, hard, and landed against the coop wall. He leaves DH alone. Every few weeks he tries to flog me. When I see the neck feathers fan out, I back out, get the broom and smack him across the coop. Once he lands, I go after him for another hit. (now these hits arent meant to kill him, just get the point across that I am boss) It works for a few weeks, then he musters up the courage to try it again.

7. geareduplyn

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Quote:Why take a chance on being injured? Why go get something to protect yourself when you think he might want to come after you? I have better things to do with my time. I really like my chickens, but I sure don't want to defend myself from them.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  8. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Why take a chance on being injured? Why go get something to protect yourself when you think he might want to come after you? I have better things to do with my time. I really like my chickens, but I sure don't want to defend myself from them.

He protects the hens. My birds free range around the farm, all day unsupervised.​

9. geareduplyn

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Quote:He protects the hens. My birds free range around the farm, all day unsupervised.

You are fooling yourself. He might sound an alarm call but there is no way he can protect your hens from a serious predator. I have a couple of hundred hens wandering around in the woods at this very minute and this is some serious wilderness. Nothing south of me but swamp for over a mile as an example. The hens will choose thier own lookout and take care of themselves.

10. plumberroy

plumberroy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    I am new here but not new to raising chickens
    Mean rooster = chicken and dumplings tonight, not tomorrow
    not if he does it again, If one of my roosters attacks a person I have to clean a chicken now because he ain't gonna survive the attack
    Sorry if this sounds hardcore but that is the way it is around here
    Roy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by