Mean Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by queenbeezz, Jul 20, 2010.

1. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    Our 20 week old Rhode Island Red Rooster who shall be refered to from now on as "Dinner" has suddenly turned mean. I know it's natural hormone driven behavior but....if he draws blood one more time he will live up to his name. Unfortunately he and the hubby have a thing going so my threats are pretty empty. Aside from kicking him a** over teacups everytime he comes near, what else can I do? He chases the dogs, geese, kid and me. He is a huge speciman and I hate to re-home. [​IMG]:cd

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Make him soup. It'll just be easier.....

If he doesn't intimidate you too much, first thing when you step outside to tend the chickens, go straight for him with purpose, and grab him up and hold him upside down. If you keep doing this, he will back down everytime you come near. Alot of people can't do this though.

I had a really mean BCM roo who was making my life miserable by stalking me and he would fly right at my face to attack....I had to carry a rolled up magazine constantly. I would chase him and flog him with the magazine.....he would give me my space to do the chicken chores, but the very next day it was like he forgot, and I'd have to flog him again. I finally sold him with three other BCM hens, along with a warning that he was dangerous.

And I don't miss him one little bit! [​IMG]

3. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    RIR Roos can be very aggressive. Sending him a** over tea cups is just a challenge to him. It will only get worse. As much as I love RIR's I would punch his ticket. Rehomeing only gives the problem to somebody else. Especially if they would happen to have young children.

4. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    The holding upside down trick works though - He has to submit to you if you do this to him. He will raise hell when you first flip him over, but eventually he will tire & just lay back with wings spread.

Once that happens lay him on his back (but don't let go) and hold him there & have the dogs come over to sniff him while he is there too.

It also helps to pass him around to others to hold too - that way he knows he is at the bottom of the poop list.

This usually works -but there are always stuborn cases. The main thing is he has to know you are the boss.

I use a fishing net to catch my chickens when I wan't to look them over. They all know to run when they see it. You may try that too.

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    A long soak in simmering broth will make even the meanest rooster turn out real nice...

6. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    We had a beautiful SLW roo that would chase my grandson down everytime he saw him. He got afraid to go outside. Then he started going after DH. Then he finally got up the courage to come after me. We gave our grandson permisson of ending the harrassment. One shot with a BB gun to the head and it was all he wrote. We had him for supper that night and he wasn't a guest. We had one other that would come after me with a vengance. I couldn't turn my back while tending to them or he would come at me. His last attempt he just wouldn't stop. He was determined he was going to put the hurt on me. He didn't know I was more stuborn than he. I chased him down for half an hour after that and when I caught him I did try to " punch his card" but I just don't have it in me. He ended up in a cage by himself for 2 months till he was sombody's supper. He was a beautiful americauna. Now all our roos are nice. I figure if I'm gonna take care of them they can at least be nice.

If you can't do the deed then give him to somebody that can. Mean roosters are dangerous especially with children and small pets around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by