mean rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by painterpeach, Jun 26, 2011.

1. painterpeach

painterpeach Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    we just bought a pair of mille fleur d'uccle chickens yesterday, they seem to be young and in very good health. after watching them yesterday evening and today we noticed that the roo is mean to the hen. he grabs the back of her head and holds her down untill she screams, but it's not like he is trying to breed her. He just seems to be doing it just out of meanness. Is this normal?[​IMG]

2. painterpeach

Jun 6, 2011
    just wondering if he needs to be replaced or let him do his thing?

3. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    You said they're youngsters? Roosters grab the hen by the back of the head before mounting, so he may just be learning the ropes.

4. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

My rooster did the same thing as he learned how to be a roo.

Since your cockerel is starting to feel his hormones, he may start getting aggressive with you. I recommend you start hazing him now. Follow him around, stalk him at a speed walk pace. Do this for 5-10 minutes. Think how you would feel if a black SUV did that as you tried to evade it. Give the rooster that feeling. Make him Beta and assume your proper role as Alpha. Once you have established this relationship you will only need a few seconds of walking toward him to reassert your authority. You can read morehere.

5. painterpeach

Jun 6, 2011
    we hope thats all it is. but it just seems malicious.we have other hens and roosters and they dont act this way. they are also young

6. painterpeach

Jun 6, 2011
    our avatar is our self blue oegb and has two hens and dosnt act agressive towards them. he has tried mounting (without sucess) lol! but isnt mean like the mille fleur

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by