Mean rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by only200, Aug 10, 2013.

1. only200

only200 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    I have a production red rooster about 4 months old and 5 hens mixed 3 golden links a bared rock and a ee and my rooster beats up all of them won't let them eat when he's around and randomly turns on them theirs been times where I had to stop them cuz he would not let go my smallest bird is beat up pretty bad (I think) my father say his trying to mate but I would like more opinions here's a pic of my small bird you can't see all the damage but you can see some well sorry this won't yet me ad a pic I will try again in a little while

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    There are a lot of gentle roosters out there - you don't seem to have one of them. Not sure if you can change his behavior so I'd either re-home him or introduce him to the crock pot.

3. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

4 months old is too young to be trying to mate. If he's keeping them from eating then he's just a bad dude. If it were me, I'd consider removing him from my flock.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Since he is still just a cockerel he hasn't learned his manners yet. He may calm down as he gets older. If he is truly beating up your hens I'd separate him so he can still see his hens through a fence but can't hurt them.

I generally tolerate wild cockerel behavior as long as no one is getting hurt. But that sounds like it is not the case with your cockerel. If he is also nasty to you I'd get rid of him. If he is nice to you a little separation will hopefully help. Chickens get depressed when they are by themselves though, so seeing his flock will be important to him.

One breeder told me that when the cockerels get into this phase she separates them until they get older. So it is possibly just a phase.

Just my opinion!

5. only200

Jul 24, 2013
    My wife has been attacked when she was filling the feeder in the coop and he has ran up to me in the yard and pecked my foot as for my kids I put him in the coop befor my kids come out for my kids and birds safety

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm sorry, why are you keeping an animal that is dangerous?

7. countrygoddess

Yeah... if he's only 4 months old and is attacking people, then it's time for him to meet Mr. Cone. Bad seed.

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I agree with the others...time to get rid of him for sure if he is aggressive to people.

Been there done that and had blood drawn on my youngest child from a nasty cock bird. In my experience the behavior just gets worse.

9. only200

Jul 24, 2013
    He's gone tomorrow my father is going to teach me the last step to chicken raising hopefully I have the stomach for it I do like keeping my birds

10. countrygoddess

I remember years ago reading a medical journal article about a very young child who was attacked by a rooster and sustained a flesh wound to his temple. Days and days went by and the wound wasn't healing well, and in fact was swelling, very tender, and becoming infected. Some kind of radiological test was done--can't remember if CT or MRI--and what they found was... The rooster's entire spur!!! It was surgically removed and the child's face healed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by