Mean rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Crazyhen95, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Crazyhen95

Crazyhen95 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    I have a rooster who bites and attacks me. He doesn't do it in the coop but if I'm outside he tries to attack me. What can I do to stop it?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    He's not mean. He is doing his job, which is to protect his ladies. It will help a lot if you get to know what his actions mean. Unfortunately, he sees you as a threat, and is trying to extablish that he is dominant over you. (Your size does not impress him.) So you need to learn some tricks that tell him you are actually the one in charge. One is to simply walk toward him rather determinedly; he should back down. Fold your arms and look at him gruffly.

There are lots of threads and articles here about managing a rooster. Here is one link:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/keeping-a-rooster

3. mrstillery09

mrstillery09 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Kansas City, Missouri
    You need to show your rooster you are dominate. When he attacks you pin him to the ground, grab him by the feet and carry him around. Be consistent. A lot of times it doesn't get better and if not, he needs to be soup.

4. Crazyhen95

Mar 12, 2015
    Thanks I'll try it.

5. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    I rehomed my dominant roo and the #2 roo decided to test the boundaries of his new found authority. I came to their pen with breakfast one morning and he came at me with wings down and feet up. I grabbed my litter rake and batted his fluffy butt back into the pen and went about my business. He stood in the farthest corner from doing his warning call. When I was finished, I shook my finger at him and gave him a good talking to. Now when I come up to the pen, he starts looking for treats to offer me... [​IMG]

6. Monguire

Monguire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2014
    Manassas, VA
    I know this was intended to be funny...and it IS but also keep in mind that if your boy IS tidbitting at/near your feet when no hens are around he IS sizing you up/working up the courage to have a go at you again.

I see this all the time with my wife. The boys will run over to her and start tidbitting quietly at her feet and if she is not very quick to assert herself or walk through them they will have a go. I'm almost 90% sure my two boys are headed for the crock pot, but i'm giving them a few more months to mature (they are only 11 months) and mend their ways. I keep telling the wife that #1 cockerel keeps #2 in place by being ornery and unrelenting in his dominance over him. Since these guys are already one wing in the crock pot, she should try being just as ornery with them. She wasn't quite sure if she could so I just told her to pretend she's married to them which annoyed her enough to give it a try. I'm not hopeful it'll make a difference, but it's worth a try.

Best of luck!

7. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    My boy is only 10 months old. I named him Soup as a reminder of what will happen if he does it again. He tidbits outside of the gate but when I open the gate and step in, he moves away while the hens crowd around me. We'll see what he does. If all else fails, I gave EE some eggs away to incubate, I could probably get a youngster for the older hens to "tame". I really like having a roo in the flock.

8. Crazyhen95

Mar 12, 2015
    I have 4 roosters. The frisky one is Mocha [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by