Mean Roosters - What do I do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Forever Green, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Forever Green

Forever Green Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    Sorry so long.........My husband and I started with a day old straight run flock of 6, now 19 weeks old. Of the 6, we have 4 roos. We loved these birds so much that when they were about 6 weeks old, we bought 6 more day old chicks (all sexed as females). We got into this for hens. Long behold, we have confirmed 2 roos in that bunch and yesterday my jersey giant was "moaning" in the morning with the other 2 roos, so I'm thinking she is a he too.

We have kept these flocks separate because the older birds have picked on smaller birds (2 separate housing), with the hopes that one day we could combine once the smaller birds were bigger (they are 13 weeks now).

First we went into chickens for hens with maybe one roo. We have 6 roos (possibly 7 with new found Jersey "moaning").

I have one 19 week old roo who is very aggressive. He is my husbands best friend, but attacked me this week when I turned my back on him. This morning after I opened the coop he jumped out and chased me back to the house. I began carrying a broom with me after he attacked me this week, this morning I forgot the broom. Again, he loves my husband. But I feed and care for the birds mostly.

We free range all the birds (we have 40 acres) and this mean roo, spends his entire day chasing the smalle birds around the property.

I think we have way too many roos, agree? With so many roos, I don't think I'll ever be able to combine these flocks, agree? How in the world do I get big bad Henry to respect me as he does my husband (without the broom)? I've become afraid of him, not good. The other roos, terrified of him, which i think is the point with roos.

Need some advise, reduce roos, remove my bad roo, how to combine?

2. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    I believe firmly in making the first impression a stong one with a rooster trying to establish his place. I chase him like a crazy woman until I catch the bugger, then I dunk the heck out of him in a 5 gallon bucket until he's miserable. One of two things then happen:
    1. He's afraid of me and begins acting like a gentleman
    2. He hates me, and trys to attack again, and soon goes to freezer-camp.

Give the bucket a try, and Do Not Let Him chase you back to the house. His brain is the size of a marble.

3. Forever Green

Forever Green Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    I guess i need to show him who is the boss, still wondering about the number of roos. I'm disappointed as I wanted hens and I'm concerned about my roo to hen ratio, concerned my hens will take a beating.....

4. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    I have several roosters right now, but only 1 or 2 get the mating rights -- they are kings and the others are afraid. Soon, I will be getting rid of my roosters, but waiting to see which one is quality, and which ones are going to live in a ziplock.

5. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    roo stew.. no need to put up with that kind of nonsense. believe me it will make everyone happier

one of my fav little roos HATED my hubby - he actually hid around the corner and waiting until my hubby walked outside! so he went to freezer camp with a couple other. immediately everyone in the hen yard was happier.

we keep only the best roosters - and only a few at a time.

and remember if you have kids or if kids are around, roos will jump up, claw out directly at child high eye level.

or get a bigger and badder roo
    ;-)

upon arriving on the scene my gander immediately pummeled my arch enemy, Fred the rooster - who has been more or less well behaved since.

good luck!

6. Holly O

Holly O Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Bergen Norway
    You need to show him who is in charge.

If he doesn't come around quickly. Then you need to Segregate him from the others some how, Cull him, Re-home him, or his own Private pen.

I found the best way to make them submit. Is to hold them by the feet in one hand and hang them upside down. They will flap like crazy at first, but eventially relax and just hang there.

Try it a few times, with any chicken. then lay them on their back, and hold them close. they will be docile then.

My kids do it, and no one is afraid if any of the chickens.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by