Mean Roosters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dinos_rock, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Are all Roosters mean? I keep seeing posts of roosters attacking their owners. Now I am kinda afraid of my chick that might be a roo…..:mad:

2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    No, but some are. I have 5 OEGB Roo's and they are terrified of me, 1 EE Roo and he is a pretty calm guy not aggressive at all. And three Silkie roosters, one of which tries to be aggressive, but slikies are slow, so I can always see him coming, and he's really not all that strong. It's more funny than anything.

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Not all. My partridge rock is really laid back....but my EE is very aggressive. Depends on the breed. Handle your roo as much as possible, it might help in accepting you. Let him know you are boss. Other than that....good luck!

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Mine is a total sweetheart, Gentle, giving, protective.
    JJ

5. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    As an aside, most people are not seriously wounded or even hurt by their roosters, even when attacked. It's usually more of an annoyance than anything else-but some roo's can grow extremely long and sharp spurs-though most are culled for aggression by the time theyreach such and age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by