Mean Silkie roo was a new years snack tonight and it was GOOD!

Smokin Silkies

formerly browneyebuttafly
11 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Western, PA
He was a mean, nasty rooster and after his last attack, we decided to get the 22 out because we couldn't catch him. My hubby got him right in the neck and down he went. Anyhow, we weren't sure how he'd taste. He was about 8 months old and fairly small for even a banty. I let him rest in the fridge for 2 days before reading I should brine him. So another almost 2 days in the brine solution. We decided to eat him as a snack tonight instead of freezing him and he was the best tasting chicken I have ever had!!! I was expecting him to be not so good but WOW!!! This was my first chicken eatin as our own, and the only organic chicken I've ever had. I am used to the store bought chickens. People say they have a different taste and if you are used to store bought chicken that you might not like it the first time or two. I can't wait for my next one...lol. There are 2-3 more roos that will be going soon because we have too many... Yummy....can't wait. I also put a small piece of onion in the chicken and put it in our toaster oven/rotisserie. Anybody ever eat a Silkie before? Mine was mixed with something else because he had pink skin and bones and you could tell he wasn't pure Silke...an ugly looking thing too. but ooooooh sooooo gooood!

Good job. Most people can't handle eating a silkie but if properly prepared the are very good. The same rules of cooking apply to a silkie that apply to any small standard chicken. Ill usually cook them in my pressure cooker or stock pot. I've used my rotiserie with some success too.

The fresh organic taste is something that turns off some people. They are used to the flavorless, mushy 6 week old, chlorinated and salted cornish sold in the stores.

I've eaten a dozen or so and they are good little chickens.

Quote:
sickbyc.gif

I have an ameracauna rooster heading the same way. He flogged me today when I had my hands full shutting the gate. I have tried carrying him and other things suggested on this site but they only work for a few days. This is the first time he has actually flogged me. He usually just threatens, but it is going to be one of the last. As soon as I get a suitable butchering place set up in the next few days he is going to be the first to try it out. He is a very pretty rooster, but he isn't pretty enough for me to put up with his nonsense. I figure a nice hot soothing bath with some garlic, onion, and a bayleaf or two will improve his disposition tremendously.

I just had to say...reading your title made me
gig.gif

It made me think of today when my hubby and I were out working on processing some more of our meaties and one of the white rock roosters came strolling up, pooped on the back porch, and crowed at us. DH looked at me and said, "he's next."

I am curious....Is it even possible for a silkie rooster to harm you while flogging? Most of the ones I have met look to small to accomplish anything besides thumping you on the ankles.

Back
Top Bottom