Mean Silkie rooster?

Wyatt0224

Chirping
Mar 1, 2016
Westminster, Maryland
I have a Silkie roo who has always had a different attitude then my other chickens but he is only 13 weeks old. He's pecked me before and lately he's been pecking all of my chickens but lately he won't let go and then once they get away he chases them. Are these sign that he's a bad rooster? Should I be worried about his attitude towards me and my chickens?

He's hormonal that's for sure. I try not to judge really young rooster because they often aren't thinking straight and can act worse than they will as an adult. I often pull them and pen them separately within the coop for a few months until they mature and mellow out. I've had some really obnoxious roosters turn out great and others remained too much and are culled, but at least I've given them a chance. I remove them because they cause disruptions and stress out the whole flock. This way only the trouble makers suffers. I will occasionally let him out to see if he's improving.

x2. I'm dealing with 2 6-7 month old cockerels right now myself (a Silkie and a Showgirl), so I feel your pain! Mine haven't pecked or flogged anyone, but they sure can cause a ruckus amongst the hens and pullets. If they start getting excessive, I lock them in my isolation/introduction cage in the coop (an XXL dog crate). It gives the girls a break for a while and them time to chill out. They're usually pretty well behaved when they get out of jail. Eventually they'll settle in. I have to say though, its been a while since I kept any cockerels. I'd forgotten how much of a pain in the behind they can be!
Good luck with your little roo!

Back
Top Bottom