Mean Silkie Rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BerrytangleFarm, May 16, 2011.

1. BerrytangleFarm

BerrytangleFarm British and Scandinavian Poultry

I have a 14-week-old Silkie rooster that's been crowing for about 7 weeks now. He's been getting progressively more active. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say "active." His 14-week-old companion Silkie hen is crying out often during the day when he pecks her (she can't see well around all those feathers and he often sneaks up on her). I caught him grabbing the head of his companion 10-week-old Silkie hen and pecking at his companion 10-week-old Seramas. At first I thought he was just warning them of danger and guiding the older one around, but now I don't know.

I'm open to anyone convincing me not to list him on Craigslist.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Sounds like he's getting ready to try to mate. They hold the neck feathers in their beaks when they do this, as the female protests loudly.

Next he should be trying to mount maybe soon. They like to try to assert their dominance and don't care one iota whether the female wants to mate or not.

This is what I see in my flock. Just normal roo behavior, from what I read in your post. But there shouldn't be bloodshed or missing patches of feathers...if you see that it's just a mean roo.

3. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    X2 Sounds just like a young roo. Maybe put him in a older pen? or by himself

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He's just a young cockerel pretending that he's a rooster. It's just normal chicken behavior. As long as he is not physically injuring the others, I would hesitate to intervene.

5. BerrytangleFarm

Okay. He's the first rooster we've kept and only kept him because he's been so close to his companion since they were hatched.

There is another coop he can go into with 4 6.5-month-old hens. Should I put him in there or leave him with the younger ones?

6. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    If there is not another roo in there, I would.

7. BerrytangleFarm

Quote:The ladies are by themselves. They've been raised together. I put two 5-week-old roos in there while trying to find them homes and the girls definitely put the fear of womanhood into them [​IMG] Do you think they'll do the same to this roo? Will it be at all dangerous for the girls? They just started laying and I don't want that to be put in jeopardy.

8. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    I think they should be fine. Plus he could protect them

9. BerrytangleFarm

Do I introduce him at night or during the day?

10. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    I would say it doesnt matter. But if they havent had a roo in there before I dont know how they would act.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by