mean young roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wayneo, Sep 6, 2008.

1. wayneo

wayneo New Egg

Sep 4, 2008
    newaygo michigan
    [​IMG] I have 10 wek old aruacanas. The two roosters wont leave the 21 hens alone they are literly atacking them and getting on top of them. I know this is normal but at week 10 and 1/2 the hens are being tortured. What to do.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Either get rid of the roos or separate them. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  3. vickig

vickig Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Texas
    Get rid of at least one of the roosters, they are competing with each other. Poor girls.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:They are just listening to those raging hormones they are just starting to experience. The only problem being the girls aren't quite ready for it. Things will settle down once the boys and the girls get the whole mating thing figured out. You have enough hens for two roosters, but if it really bothers you get rid of one (or both) of the roos.

5. vickig

vickig Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Texas
    I think a 2 to 10 ratio is a bit much myself.

6. wayneo

wayneo New Egg

Sep 4, 2008
    newaygo michigan
    thanks for all your help it is alittle bothersome to the wife. but i tell her its just part of raising chickens.

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Are the hens loosing feathers off their backs due to over-mating?

8. wayneo

wayneo New Egg

Sep 4, 2008
    newaygo michigan
    All feathers are in tacked. I don't seem to see any loss of feathers anyway.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Tell her a good rooster is worth his weight in gold. He protects the flock and will put himself between a hen and harm. With my two boys no matter what they are doing one of them, usually Thor, has an eye on the sky. Zeus is the one of mine that's more the ladie's man. I absolutely fell in love with him the day I saw him pick up a huge cricket, call Lil' Bit (my runt) over, and hold out his beak for her to take.

10. citygal/countrygalRN

citygal/countrygalRN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia OH
    My Leghorn is named "Barry White" for a reason. He is the lady's man with a low crow. [​IMG]

Archie the Amerucana is more mild. They both defend the girls from the turkin cockerals we have free ranging as well. I have a total of 15 roo's, due to poor judgement and too much enthusiasm at the hatchery. I bought a incubator clean out special set- 15 unsexed grab bag of chicks. I got two hens and 13 roos in the mix. [​IMG]

I ordered two roos, and they are with the girls free ranging. The other roos are penned, for the very reason you described above, over zealous lovers. We affectionatly refer to the 6 ranging roos as "the nerd herd" cuz the other roos beat the snot out of them if they are together. We have had to modify the coop to create 3 separate areas for the chickens to roost at night.

But the 13 unplanned roos will be in my freezer in afew more weeks.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by