Meanwhile in Russa

hemet dennis

Songster
8 Years
Nov 9, 2011
Hemet,Ca. 20+chicken years
My Coop
My Coop
It seems a big rock feel out of the sky and blew up.

pop.gif

This is big. 400 to 500 people injured.

Quote: One hundred years ago there was a bigger event, but it's still extremely rare:
Quote:
Lots of videos, the news is still just starting to come out.

Gargoyle, why do I find it not surprising to see you weighing in on a thread about a rock?
gig.gif

The thing I find most ironic, is that I've been hearing for days about a near approach of a far larger chunk of space junk. They've been saying "it won't hit us, it won't hit us," and first thing this morning, what do I hear? "We've been hit!"

It seems this is a different one from the asteroid they've been discussing for a few days. Some of these are too small to pick up on radar.

Some reports say this was a meteor shower, not a single rock, but that isn't clear yet. It seems that when it hit the atmosphere, it was like hitting a brick wall, and that caused it to shatter/blow up. I guess it's really rare that one will get in this low before blowing up.

I understand that the apparent lack of a crater was one of the major puzzles in the Tunguska event:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

Just as an aside, there was an event here about 15 years ago. People from Ogden to Castle Hayne (about 5 miles as the crow flies) heard a huge explosion about 7:00 one evening. Nobody saw anything, nothing was ever found (though there is a lot of forest and farmland between those two communities). A small meteorite was floated as one possible explanation.

If there's an asteroid coming by Earth, I'd guess that it would have some smaller rocks tailing it, and one or two got pulled in by Earth's gravity and fell to the ground.

Honestly, while it's unusual, it's not exactly a freak-of-nature occurence. Russia has a history of this kind of thing - somebody mentioned Tunguska.
lol.png

BTW, KBG204, I think it's only one guy blaming the U.S., some idiot lawmaker that nobody pays attention to. Of course, the conspiracy sites are already lighting up with claims that it was a weapons test, in violation of all common sense and footage of actual missiles.

Back
Top Bottom