Meany Roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dfchaser, Nov 14, 2008.

1. dfchaser

dfchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    We picked up new chickens a few weeks ago. One of them was injured so she went into care inside the house till her wounds healed up. She was looking great last weekend so we reintroduced her to her friends and our other 12 chickens. All of the chickens (except the ones she came with) Seem to pick on her. We understand the pecking order, but did not expect it to be this long. Two of the roosters will jump on her back and pin her down and rip out her feathers. She was so scared this morning she actually ran up the wood pile and flew into my chest. (Since the rooster would not)

Is this normal, and do we just need to keep waiting it out, or is there something I can do to help her become part of the group. At night she sleeps with everyone, but she will not go into the coop on her own, she will wait for us to pick her up from where she has nested and place her in the coop.

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    If she steel can not defend herself, then it might be dangerous for her to stay with the rest, because chickens will kill the weak one.
    I suggestto put her with the others chickens but by herself in a large area fenced by chicken wire, so they can see her and get used to see her, but can't pick on her, and when you feel she is strong enough to stand for herself, the you can put her with the rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by