Meark's vaccine

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hughes Wildlife Farm, Oct 26, 2019.

1. I received the Meark's vaccine for my chicks. In hopes that none of them have yet been exposed, I found out that this was never administered to a certain group of chicks that are 2mo old. I understand that if they have been exposed, the vaccine wouldn't help. But better late than never, if it does help any not infected.
    So, right now I am treating them with CORID for coccidiosis, as it was found present in a stool test... Does anyone know if I should wait til the CORID treatment would interfer with the vaccine, or if I should wait until treatment is complete before administering the vaccine?

2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    The Marek's vaccine is meant to be used in newly hatched chicks, before they are ever exposed to the virus, as you wrote. Vaccinating now would likely be useless.
    BTW, it is quite normal for chickens to have coccidia oocysts in their stool. It's only when these protozoa grow uncontrolled and cause disease that you need to treat with a coccidiostat. Were your chicks showing symptoms?

Wyorp Rock and Wolfefarmyard like this.
  3. Yes. Had one that would stay puffed up, droopy tail n wings, and some red in her stool, so had a fecal float test done. Now they are all under treatment.

DobieLover likes this.
  4. With other flocks in out neighborhood, though we live acers apart, I dont know what their practise is on Meark's control, but I don't want to risk it. Or even if I get new birds to introduce, that ended up with Meark's, I wouldnt want any new birds to contaminate my current one's. But I do usually only get new chicks. But when my husbend ordered these, he forgot to ask for the birds to be vaccinated proir to shipment

5. DobieLover

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Yep. Definite signs. How is she doing now? Looking better?

6. Still looking the and acting the same. We are currently 3days into treatment. Than after CORID treatment, I will be doing a broad spectrum worming as well

7. DobieLover

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    If that is the case, I would drench her. I give 1/2 cc of 9.6% Corid once daily for 3-5 days to any bird exhibiting symptoms. It's a little late to start that as soon as signs are showing.
    You aren't adding any extra vitamins or minerals to the feed or water, correct? The Corid water is their only source of water? What is your dilution ratio?

8. Treated water is their only water source. They get 2tsp per gallon. As suggested by another on this site.
    I could definatly do a drench on her, hopefully that would help her along better

9. No one is getting extra vitamins at this point

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: