Measuring a dose in milligrams with kitchen measurement tools. Que headache.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheDens, Mar 11, 2014.

1. TheDens

TheDens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    Argh. Okay, quick rundown for those who didn't read my other thread: one of my chicks was sneezing a lot but otherwise acting normal. Somebody helpful suggested doxycycline. Minor situation change: three of the chicks are now sneezing, one has discharge on her beak. Anyway, I ran up to tractor supply, and they don't have doxy, they only have tetracycline, and only one brand of it. They said it would work just as well, so I bought it. Didn't have much choice, really. Anyway, this package is for a much larger flock than I have. The directions say 400mg per gallon of water, and mix up a new batch every day. I have no small weight measurement devices around the house, and the lady at tractor supply said they had no way of measuring this stuff, either. Various google answers give differing opinions on how many mg of powder are actually in a half teaspoon. I only have four chicks using a quart waterer. I also have a half gallon milk jug washed out and handy, if I need to use that instead. Can anyone help me out with this? Even in the best of circumstances, my math skills are nonexistent. Add in a vague tiny weight-to-volume conversion, and I'm lost. :-/

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    I have Tetracycline Hydrochloride 400 g,instructions on package state to give 2 level teaspoons per 4.5 litres of water.

Or Duramycin 10 HCI soluble powder dose - 400 mg is 1/2 Tablespoon per gallon or 800mg dose is 1 Tablespoon per gallon

Link for dosage

http://www.durvet.com/dl/Durvet-Poultry-Brochure.pdf

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What brand is it and I'll see if I can figure it out. If it's the Duramycin-10, the doses that ten chicks posted are correct.

-Kathy

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  4. TheDens

TheDens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    Yeah, its Duramycin-10. Thanks!

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Good luck!

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by