1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Measuring the Chest s pace?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tea S., Jul 31, 2013.

1. Tea S.

Tea S. Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    8 Hens, 1-2 eggs a day - ok not good. I was told at my feed store, you could measure between the breasts of the hen, 3 fingers wide means that hen is laying, smaller means those hen's are likely NOT laying.

I've had this bunch of hens 2 years plus couple months. They are well fed, supplemented, etc. All of them seem fat and sassy.
    No hidden nests in the back yard anywhere.

I'd like to reduce the number, does the measuring the space thing work?

Thanks,

Tea

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I look at the vent- I never have learned how to measure between the legs or whatever the technique.

If the vent is wide and moist, they are likely laying. You can really tell when one isn't laying if the vent is small and round. It can be tricky though if they were laying recently and the vent is still wide.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Have a look here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-behaviours-and-egg-laying-why-are-my-hens-not-laying It also explains how to examine the hen's pelvic bones to see if she's laying.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by