Meat and eggs chickens in the Southern Alabama Heat.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dmbeard, Jan 20, 2015.

1. dmbeard

dmbeard New Egg

Dec 21, 2014
    Thinking 4-5 Delaware hens for eggs and 12-15 mixed for meat hear the males get big fast!!!!! Would split them and put the meat chickens in a Tractor and Coop the layers. I will have 20 acres with about 10 of pasture. What would happen if i put 12-15 Roos in a tractor and moved it daily????? what ya think?

Novice at best!!!!!!

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I've had Delawares and they are good birds and would work fine, but I would personally suggest Black Australorps instead. Both breeds are approximately the same size for eating, and both are very cold hardy, but Australorps are more heat hardy (I've raised them where summer temps. frequently reached 117-118 F or more), and while the rest of my flock was listless, panting, and holding out their wings, my Black Australorps were going about their business like troopers. Australorps are also calm and gentle birds (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and they are even better layers than Delawares. A Black Australorp holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days. Whatever breed you decide to go with, good luck with your flock.

3. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    I second this suggestion. Our Australorp has been an excellent layer. She, too, seems to do quite well with our summer temps (upper 90s to 100s). Some of our other larger breed birds do not do as well. (We do mist and place large fans on the run as well as fans in the coop. These things, along with plenty of fresh, cool water seem to keep our flock well.)

As far as the roos in the tractor, I haven't any idea nor experience. -hope that whatever you decide works well for you! Good luck!

4. dmbeard

dmbeard New Egg

Dec 21, 2014
    thank you both for your time and information!!!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by