1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Meat and treats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Justhatched, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    I was wondering if anyone feeds their chicken meat? Is it something they need? Would it harm them in any way? I know some have fed their chickens chicken but I haven't. I haven't fed them any meat. Just their layer crumbles all the time. Also greens, various vegetables, yogurt, cottage cheese and eggs. I don't give them all the time. A couple times a week. How about popcorn or peanuts. Are they okay for chickens?

Thank you.[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I don't know about peanuts, but everything else you mentioned seems fine.

I've given mine ham, fish, roast beef and chicken.

they are little pigs and love ALL of it.

.....and I'm off to take the filet mignon off of the grill outside.... and I think I'll eat it all.

3. OwensMom

OwensMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    CO Western Slope
    Meat is fine to feed chickens. Extra protien. I raise mealworms to feed my girls. That is meat of a sort. I would not feed chicken to chickens. Just personal preferance. All the other foods that you mentioned are good and I use those also.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

Whoever
    wrote this also had a problem feeding chicken to chickens, but I do it anyway. And eggs, canned mackerel, cooked freezer burned fish, leftover casserole with meat in it (usually chicken or tune,) etc.

They feed themselves meat if they can catch it -- bugs, bugs and more bugs. Mine about choke on our grasshoppers but they eat them anyway. Once I happened to be watching when they saw a mouse run across the coop floor. 5 or 6 of them pounced at once. It never knew what hit it, couldn't have felt a thing. There are pics on here of their eating small snakes as well.

5. Justhatched

May 24, 2011
    Yay! Thanks. [​IMG]

6. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I think the very first treat I gave my girls was leftover fried chicken - and they loved it!! Now, they get all sorts of leftover meat. That is, if the doggies don't get it first!

7. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I give mine meat anytime there are leftovers. Any meat scraps are fine for them. Fat and skin too. I do feed mine chicken and turkey. heck after we roasted our mean ole rooster I gave the hens the carcass. They ate their ex-roo!

One time I took the family canoeing. At the livery before we took off I got kind of hungry and had a fried chicken leg as a snack. About the time I finished it here comes 2 chickens walking around the parking lot. The attendants said they were from the house next door and they came around all the time. I think I grossed out 20 or so people when I held out that leftover leg for those hens to snack on. My kids thought it was great!

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    If you can eat it, they can eat it.

9. Justhatched

May 24, 2011
    Thank you everyone. I was wondering because I don't hear about it too much. My sister in law has chickens and gives them everything. Even chicken. I don't think I could do that. It's just weird to me. Although I have given them cooked egg. I went out last night and gave them some meat. They liked it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by