Meat bird chicks arrived this morning.

LoneCowboy

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
Longmont, CO
I got my shipment of meat birds this morning. All healthy and happy. No losses in the mail this time. YAY!
wee.gif

After I sell off 20 of them, I'll have 52 for myself. I hope I loose a lot less this time than last time.

I started out with 50 and ended up with 42. Of course 2 died on the way to the processor, and 1 was condemed by the USDA inspector for having an infection. So this time I'm looking to raise my percentage of health happy birds.

I think I learned alot from the last bunch and I'm going to be more careful. It's also not as hot this time of year. We lost 2 to heat. One got trampled, so they are in bigger brooders now. One got run over by the chicken tractor. Now it has wheels. One got smashed under the tractor trying to get the one that was run over out from under the tractor. Hopefully the wheels will avoid that. Can't do much about the infection or dying in transit, but I hope I've fixed the other problems.

I'm just worried about all the things that could happen that didn't last time.
ep.gif
What am I going to learn new this time
hu.gif

Sounds like your on the right track. Cooler weather is a plus.
I did learn not to overfeed. I remove the feed at night.

Do you have any problems with predators. Last year I lost 15 birds three days before killing.
A Grey fox got into the pen and made quite the mess.

Oh yeah, I learned those things. I take the food away at 7pm and give it back at 7am.

I did have problems with a red fox last time. He didn't get any, but he left foot prints on the top and you could see where he was digging in. I have them in a chicken tractor, so it's not the Fort Knox that my layer coops are. I had to put 1-1/2 feet of chicken wire out beyond the sides to keep the fox from digging. It seemed to do the trick. Now he just goes over to the park for his easy duck and goose meals.

One other thought on the fox. I think having the predator around the pen when the birds are older say the 7th week, stresses them out and could cause heart attacks and loss.

Quote:
What about other animals like goats and a cat. When our shipment gets here ours are going to be in the coop for 2 weeks and then taken to a large pen. Just curious cause when I go out to feed our cat goes with me. All the animals sort of stay back when kitty is there, making it easier to feed.
smile.png

Introduce kitty to them early. As long as kitty no eaty.
big_smile.png
Then if they are used to kitty it won't be a problem. Well day 1 is about over, well at least the first 12 hours. All are still alive and well. the water is down about 1/2 way, so they are drinking really well. I have 1 gallon and 4 quart waterers in there right now. They are quite pooped out from there travels, so they are resting now. They'll pick up energy to gorge themselve in about 2 days.
gig.gif

Lost another one yesterday but none today. I sure hope we are over the loss from the travel and can get on with growing and getting tasty.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom