1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Can Someone Tell Me The Deseases On A Meat Bird Because I Have Butcherd Chickens Before And No How But This Year I Wanna Sell Some Live And Butchered But These Days People Are Sue Happy And I Dont Want Sued So What Are Some Things To Look Out For When Im Butchering So They Dont Get Sick Or Something Iv Never Got Sick From Eating My Birds But Just In Case.[​IMG]

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    If your chickens have been healthy when they get butchered, you shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure you are able to get the birds cleaned out quickly and placed in cold water. Since you done birds before, you know what a healthy bird looks and smells like. We have also raised and sold many meat birds and have never had a problem either. [​IMG]

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Well there's that darn "Capitalize Every Word, No Punctuation" disease. You may have caught it... [​IMG]

Like 4-H mom said, if they seem healthy and you handle them properly at butcher time you shouldn't have any problems.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You can purchase liability insurance. Try The Farm Bureau for farm product insurance.

Make sure your butchering is very clean and get the birds chilled fast and never allow them to get warm, not even for a second.

Place a care and cooking label on the bird.

Be aware that you don't have to do anything wrong. Anybody can sue anyone over any issue. You might be sued for selling contaminated birds by someone who had the flu and thinks that space aliens are speaking to them through their fillings. Then you have to pay to defend yourself. That's why you carry product liability insurance.

5. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    Sorry, wrong thread. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by