Meat bird housing question

Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil

Songster
10 Years
Mar 20, 2009
Sequim, WA
I'm going to get started on building a tractor run for our 5 meat birds. My question: do they need a coop to go into at night like our laying hens or do they get to big a lazy to even bother going inside. I was going to make a run and cover the back quarter for shade, rain and wind protection. Would that be enough or do I need to do a coop?

They will do fine without a coop or roosts. They'll eat a big dinner every couple of minutes. In between they like to lay spread out on the ground, sticking that one leg way out there. Roosting is for skinny birds. Coops are too <burp> far from the <burp> food dish. No thanks. <burp>

Ours live 4 weeks in the tractor. New carpet every day. Never in standing water. Usually sleeping under the shaded portion...unless it's hot and breezy.

I have boxes (securable) in both my tractors for nighttime. I use a plastic rake to herd the chubbies in and lock them up. Both will hold 10 to 15 meaties and so far...so good!

Quote:
lau.gif
Your funny! That's exactly how they are. LOL! I may have to move them twice a day since we get so much rain.

I'll have to try the box idea, we still get chilly at night, down to about 38 degrees.

Do you take their food and water away at night?

Thanks!

I dont put any food in the box with them after they are put into the box for the night. I do make sure they have food all day (im up before teh roosters) and water religiously. They seem to be doing quite well. I actually just split this batch into two tractors since I have the room.

Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil :

Quote:
lau.gif
Your funny! That's exactly how they are. LOL! I may have to move them twice a day since we get so much rain.

I'll have to try the box idea, we still get chilly at night, down to about 38 degrees.

Do you take their food and water away at night?

Thanks!

I leave water in 24 hours. Food 12.​

Back
Top Bottom